You’ve probably seen a few in your time. The drunk falling out of the pub, absolutely intent on getting to his destination if only he could remember where he was going and how to get there.
Ask him his name and he can hopefully recall this but ask anything else about him (or her) and you may struggle for a coherent response. An incredible amount of energy put into going nowhere.
Too many businesses also seem to be reeling about with no idea of where they’re heading (stop reading now if you’re feeling in control) or how they’re going to get there. In this case it isn’t alcohol but just everyday busyness, firefighting and minor crises.
Take a moment and consider:
- What do you, the business owner, want out of life? (your life goals)
- What do you need from your business in order to achieve this? (your business goals)
- What does this look like financially? (your budget)
- How are you going to achieve this? (your action plan)
- What will this cost? (revise budget)
- Are there any financial or time constraints on the actions you can afford to take? (revise action plan)
- Does this still give you what you want? (check life/business goals and adjust budget/actions)
- Start driving
- Check that you are on the right track (management accounts and non-financial KPIs)
- Adjust course accordingly to take account of diversions (coaching satnav) or blockages (specific business advice or consultancy)
- Repeat until you reach your planned destination
If you need a hand then we can help with strategic planning days, budget days and/or regular coaching sessions or ad hoc advice to keep you on track.
Business is tougher when you go it alone.